Sunday, May 30, 2010

Apologies to an Elderly Cat

My last post was about how Boot, our 18-year-old cat, mistakenly attacked our younger cat, Irving, in the night, thinking he was a strange cat. Well, Boot was right and I was wrong.

This morning I did yard work, so didn't go in to take my shower until about noon. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something move in the closet. When I checked, there was a small, strange cat sitting calmly in the closet corner. So Boot did actually see something worth screaming about...for a cat.

Our house guest is fortunately experienced in cat rescue, so got it out of the closet and into a carrier. We'll check with the neighbors, but I suspect we've been the victim yet again of a 'cat drop-off.' Both Irving and Halley came to us that way last year.

This story doesn't have an ending yet, because I don't know what the ending will be. I DO know that it would avert a lot of suffering if people would spay and neuter their pets...

6 comments:

  1. Oh, that is weird! How does a strange cat just come into your house?? And then how do you apologize to Boot, who is now sitting smugly in the family room? I hope Stowaway Stewy gets a nice new home out of the deal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, this happened to me all the time in NJ 'cause we lived in a wildlife refuge. People thought it was a good place to dump their cats.

    Sigh

    Welcome Jenny or Jeremiah?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, ha...this is funny. Good job, Boot! He may be old, but he still knows who should and who shouldn't be in the house late at night! :-)
    How funny that your visitor was sitting so calmly inside the closet - guess this guy knows a great cat house when he sees one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Boot must have chased it into the garage, and then it found its way through the cat door. We keep the kitty litter in the garage (love that!) so we leave the cat door open all the time, and the garage door up a bit.

    We really don't want another cat right now. Boot is fading, and had a lot of trouble adjusting to the other two drop-offs (who are now beloved members of the family), so I was hoping not to put him through it again.

    Pricilla -- you remembered we name our cats in alphabetical order! :->

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit all of my cats have been dumped or abandoned or just made themselves at home. One was just brazen enough to walk into my mother's house and make himself at home. We relocated him to my place. I'm sure you'll find a good home for him/her even if you can't keep him/her right now.

    Way to go Boot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our best cats have been cats other people didn't want! It's heartbreaking to think how many cats and dogs there are out there who would make wonderful pets if they just had a good home.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Blog Widget by LinkWithin