Friday, February 26, 2010

Fun With Ducks

I don't know why, but I think it's so funny to walk by the pond and see the ducks' behinds sticking out of the water. I was lucky recently and caught the action as one desperately tried to force his plump, water-repellant body under the water to feed. I love that orange foot flailing in the air.



In the shot below, you can see both orange feet out of the water. This picture was actually on the day the cats were pretend-stalking the ducks, and you can see three of the duck armada sailing in to assist their comrades in the horrific cat-duck war. (The cats never did anything but stare menacingly at the ducks, who were obviously not terrified.)



Rusty, the little wild red-headed duck who has been visiting us for months, stays near the domestic duck flock most of the time. A local who visited the pond recently said it's been a long time since he's seen a red-headed duck in this area. We speculate he's either old or got separated from his group somehow. (I mean the duck, of course, not the local.) It's nice that he feels comfortable enough to stay. He's a really pretty duck.



And speaking of good-looking ducks....



Doesn't the black-and-white one look like a penguin there? It was doing some complicated contortions to clean itself. Irving the cat was about 10 feet away at the time. Nice to see he's treated with the proper respect by the ducks...
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Holy Frijoles! How did I miss all these posts? I kept checking my blogroll and all that was there and I thought here was the one with Irving and his fuzz face stuffed into a glass. OK I will get back on track now. I swear if I had those ducks and your bench by the pond I would probably sit and watch them all day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my fault. I uploaded several posts to be posted later, and hadn't realized that I needed to change the date on them. So Blogger posted them with the date of the original upload (why?), and they all fell behind each other. I've figured it out now :->.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Blog Widget by LinkWithin