Sunday, July 25, 2010

Fawn Hopes

I saw the fawn for the first time this evening...but not under good circumstances.

Two of our cats came bursting in through the cat door from outside a little while ago. We went outside to see what had spooked them, and found two cars stopped in the road in front of our house, staring off down the hill into the pasture. They said a deer had tried to jump our fence from the pasture into the road, but couldn't clear the fence. It kept banging into the fence, and then ran down the hill toward the pond.

When we heard that, we knew it must have been the fawn, since a grown deer could easily clear the fence. We ran down to look, and sure enough, a spotted fawn was down at the bottom of the pasture, trying to get through the fence that separates us from the neighbor.

That fence is wire mesh, and the squares in the top half are no more than about 6" wide. But on the other side of all the fencing on the outer edges of the property is the original barbed wire fencing. We cut it down on the inner boundaries, where we interact with the goats, but left it on the outside to keep predators out. It's not a high fence...but the fawn couldn't get over it, and was trying to go through it.

By the time I caught up to it, it had succeeded in forcing itself through one of the 6" squares, and the barbed wire, but was caught by its hips. Its head was on the ground on the other side of the fence, and it was panting heavily. It was bloodied from the attempts to get through the barbed wire. I took its hind legs and straightened them to the rear so that it could complete the slide through the fence, and it took off across the neighbor's yard toward the forest.

Deer are considered pests here, as in so many places, and our neighbors have had serious accidents from hitting them on the roads, but I can't help but hope that its mother finds it, and that its wounds aren't too serious.

Below is a picture of its mother coming for the ducks' grain on a better evening.

 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. I hope your baby recovers. It's amazing how resilient animals can be. It's kind of you to go try and help out.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Teresa! We haven't seen it since, I'm afraid, but at least that way I can imagine good things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it might be okay after all. Most times nature takes care of such things--for better or worse. It's hard as a human to witness it all. I know because I deal with the same heartaches.

    I hope the fawn will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi... I am new to your blog. Please don't ask how I found my way here because I have no clue... So glad I stopped though. I read your profile. Hubby and I were also living in the suburbs.... of Phoenix, AZ and are now on 3 acres in Roanoke, VA. We can't have farm animals so that's a bit of a bummer... I will live vicariously through you by becoming a follower. YAY

    Di
    The Blue Ridge Gal
    P.S. We have those pesky deer here too!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Blog Widget by LinkWithin